My Health Website

Are Your Vitamins Safe?

Friday, December 5, 2008

Even more of my opinions about "Fake Whole Food Vitamins"

This goes along with a post I formerly made in regards to buying vitamins. As the post regarding the Pops receiving an award points out, tablets are generally a bad idea. The reason for this being that to make a tablet stay in one piece, they must have binding agents added to them. I for one am lactose intolerant, and have no idea if I have any soy allergies. These are really not a good choice for me in either of these situations. I have also sent emails to the companies of a few of these "natural vitamin" companies. I have received no reply at all. As a consumer, I feel that these companies would be interested in answering my questions. Isn't that how they stay in business? Also many of these say they should not be taken by people with certain health issues. Diabetics, Pregnant or nursing women, the list goes on. So how would you explain that? If they are "all natural" and "organic" why would they be potentially harmful to these groups? If they are in fact made of fruits and veggies, since when are fruits and veggies bad for you? I thought the point of taking these was to help you with bad diet choices. My husband and I are trying for a baby, and I am very weary of taking something that says it's not safe for someone whom is pregnant. As far as I have seen, everything in the Pops is in fact natural. The only thing that's not is the gelatin used to make the capsule. No binding agents, no tablets. If you open them up you can literally shake out the contents. They are more of a powder form. And they smell nice. No awful taste if you don't swallow them fast enough. And the cost is almost double that of the Pops if you take the recommended 3-4 a day. You would think that one a day would be enough if they really do contain what they claim. How do you make a tablet out of a whole food anyway? And then its white? Really now, last time I checked green veggies are green. Fruits are typically a pink or purple shade. Not white.

No comments: