My Health Website

Are Your Vitamins Safe?

Monday, December 29, 2008

2009 is just around the corner...

With a new year lurking just around the corner, I have forced myself to reevaluate my not so healthy choices of the past years. With these in mind I sat down to begin my list. Every year I make a list of things I plan to change. For the past 6 the number one has been to quit smoking. I previously made a post about more reasons to kick the habit, and have been reviewing these quite a bit. Some of my list has been more difficult to stick to in the past. My job choices were a big reason for not eating right. After working 14 hours the on the way home 24 hr burger place was my main source of food. Who really wants to go home and cook after being on your feet 14 hours straight? A few minor changes to my lifestyle this year will in my opinion make it easier to stick to my goals for the new year. I now work from home, which gives me plenty of time to cook better for me meals. My 3 dogs are always anxious to get out of the house, and taking them for daily walks is not impossible, weather permitting. Quitting smoking has been a big one for me, I live with 2 heavy smokers. I plan to move soon to help eliminate the stress involved 1 with living with other people, and 2 remove the temptation. Financial issues may keep me from moving as soon as I want to, but I will stick to my no smoking rule for myself no matter what it takes. Making a list of "resolutions" is the easy part. Sticking to them is the hard part. With my past years of failure behind me, I have made several of these lists and posted them all over the place. In my car, on my computer, on my refrigerator. Everywhere I know I will see them. My goals for better health started months ago, I now take vitamins daily, they sit on my nightstand where I know I will see them and not forget. I have all my research plastered on my walls about smoking eating right, ect. These constant reminders help to keep me on track. I read them daily. A few small things you can do to help yourself out is to work out while you watch tv. It need not be a back breaking weight lifting experience. something as simple as stretching can do wonders to get your metabolism moving. If you have dogs take them for a walk. To the end of the road is better than sitting inside on the couch with them. Go outside and play fetch with them. Get out and walk with your children, or play ball, go to a park. The point is to get up and moving. You will never burn calories sitting on the couch not moving. Buy some ankle weights, do leg lifts while watching the news. Get a small 5lb set of dumbells. You can use them to strenghten your arms. Setting small goals are easier to accomplish than big ones. Don't say, "I will work out 30min a day, 3 times a week. " Say instead, "I will do stretching while I watch .... program on tv." Then go from there. Start small. And slowly increase it. After a week or month or 3 months, however long you give yourself of doing the goal, increase it. Add I will do leg lifts and stretching while watching this program. This will help to keep you motivated. If you achieve several smaller goals, you will build confidence in yourself, and knowing you can achieve a goal keeps you motivated. If you set a huge goal you will be less likely to work at it. Lack of time, energy, or any other factors can cause you to put it off. I will do it tommorow. Then at the end of year, you are in the same boat you were the year before. Happy new year to all, and best of luck with setting your new year new you goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nichole I'm happy you are looking at your life choices and working on health and fitness.

I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

Love ya
Robin

Anonymous said...

visit and suport for your blog thanks for parner blog on href="http://radjanews.blogspot.com">radjanews<