My Health Website

Are Your Vitamins Safe?

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Truth Behind Tea

Tea was at a point the miracle cure. Green Tea made it into nearly every home as the new "cure all", great marketing huh? Well, as an avid tea drinker myself, I decided to do some research on it today. After I found out everything I could about caffeine, I have opted to go back to my regular Dr. Pepper, it wasn't the caffeine in it that is so bad for me, it's the sugar. But I am also leaning toward drinking more Iced Tea. It's a southern tradition, and I drink it with a cup of sugar per gallon, which is much less sugar than my Dr. Pepper. I'm sure this is still to much, but I hate tap water and bottled is much the same. So, here is what I gathered:
  • Tea is the most commonly consumed beverage in the world after water.
  • Green & Black are the most popular. Followed by Ginseng, Herbal, Oolong (red), Rooibos, White, and tons of other varieties and variations of the above.
  • The degree of processing the leaves of camellia sinensis determines whether a tea will be green, black or red (oolong). Green tea is the least processed. Black the most, and red in between.
  • Any tea derived from camellia sinensis has cancer fighting properties.
  • The leaves of this plant contain chemicals called polyphenols, which give tea its antioxidant properties.
The polyphenols found in tea have been known to:
  • Help protect cells from normal, but damaging processes. Oxidative Stress
  • Oxygen is vital to life but it also but it also incorporates into reactive substances known as free radicals, the stuff that damages cells leading to heart disease and cancer
  • Helps prevent blood clots
  • Helps lower cholesterol
  • Helps to neutralize the enzymes that aid in tumor growth
  • Helps to deactivate cancer promoters
  • Helps to stimulate the immune system
Tea also has fluoride, necessary for strong teeth. Almost no calories, really, read the box. And half the caffeine of a regular cup of coffee. Caffeine is found naturally in tea leaves, not added like in soft drinks. Tea also contains other beneficial ingredients like theanine, an amino acid unique to tea. Vitamins, minerals, and methylxanthines. These are know to:
  • Help fight against mutagenic agents
  • Delay aging
  • Help fight high blood pressure
  • Helps fight against viral and bacterial infections
  • Help improve the functions of the digestive and excretory systems
Iced Tea is said to have the same health benefits as the others. By recommendation, buy a tea pot. The ones that whistle. I love that sound, and they are making a comeback. Colors to match anything. Heat the water by itself. Wait for the whistle, and remove from the heat. Place your bag(s) in the water, I use 1 family size per gallon, and let it sit. I found I can get away with one, as I often let my tea steep for about an hour. This is simply because I find it easier to drink when it is cooled and I hate all my ice melting as soon as I put in a glass. I pour the tea into the pitcher, add some water, sugar, and ta-da! Some other variations I love are no sugar, add lemon.

A great tea website Tea Association of the United States
Whole Food Vitamins, Diet & Detox Plans, & More....

No comments: