My Health Website

Are Your Vitamins Safe?

Monday, June 8, 2009

Recession Proof Your Diet

Everyone is feeling the pain of job cuts. Making cutbacks on lots of things is more important in these tough times. So is there a way to still eat right without going over budget? I have found a way. Almost everywhere I know of you have a way to access coupons. Each Sunday I go buy a paper. The 2.00 I spend is made up for by the savings I find. You would be amazed how much money you really can save on everyday items. Shopping at a different store can also help. I have several options available near me, but I have found the cheapest overall is Wal-Mart. They carry just as much of the organic products as every one else, and everything in their stores is at a lower cost. Local farmers markets are also a great way to save on produce. If you have a meat processor nearby, be sure to call them and see if they sell retail. You can typically save anywhere from a few cents to several dollars a pound on the same quality of meats you would buy at a chain store. While it may not seem as convenient to drive a few more miles to go to these stores, the money saved tends to make up for it. I moved several months ago and a trip to town is now a 10 mile drive for me. I try to get to all my stores in one trip. I start at the farthest and work my way back towards home. Before I leave I look in my cabinets, make a list, and look through all my coupons. I make notes on the list in regards to the coupon so I know how many I need to buy. When I get to the store I compare everything. Some stores list price per ounce ect. right on the shelf so you know what is your best buy. Certain snack foods I will only buy if I have a coupon, I buy generic when I can, and freeze all my meats. I buy in bulk, separate the package into meal size portions, and freeze them. You don't need a vacuum sealer, or some other high tech food saving storage. A good selection of freezer bags saves space as well as money. Many stores also have specials on items close to their sell date. You can get bread and meats at a greatly reduced price. You just need to use it or freeze it by the date. Rolls are wonderful for this. You can get a bag of fresh dinner rolls, and place enough for a meal into freezer bags. Then when you are ready to use them it takes a short time to defrost. If you plan meals in advance, you can easily have the things you need thawed before you get home. I take these out prior to leaving for work in the morning, so they are ready when I make home in the evening. Healthy eating does not have to break the bank. Simply changing the way you shop can make all the difference in the world.

http://www.vitamingirlshop.info

2 comments:

Jenny said...

One of the things the so called experts fail to cover as they scream at the rest of us to "eat right"is the cost in money and time that is consumed in trying to do that for ourselves.Coupons,buying in bulk and breaking down the bulk for food size,and pre-cooking are useful and do-able ways to save time and money.Good points ,Nichole!

Jenny said...

Ps. Nichole I look forward to your thoughts on home "canning" and food dehydration.